Keir Starmer dealt massive blow as military turns on him: ‘Unreliable’ | Politics | News
Sir Keir Starmer has been criticised by senior military officials for refusing Donald Trump permission to use UK military bases to support US strikes on Iran. The US has previously used the UK overseas territory of Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire to carry out strikes in the Middle East. But the Prime Minister has reportedly withheld permission for the use of its bases in a potential attack on Iran’s nuclear programme, prompting warnings of appearing “unreliable and weak”.
Mr Starmer’s decision has been denounced as “mad” by figures including former Royal Navy Commander Tom Sharpe, who said the UK should “absolutely let the US use UK bases in launching targeted strikes against Iran”, according to the Daily Mail. Retired Rear Admiral Chris Parry, added: “At a time when our US ally needs to be reassured of Britain’s staunch opposition to brutal regimes and about its access to the Chagos Islands and [UK-US military base] Diego Garcia, our Government is proving unreliable and weak.”
Mr Trump said on Thursday that the world would learn “over the next, probably 10 days”, whether Iran had agreed to a deal or would be hit with military action.
In a post on Truth Social, he wrote: “Should Iran decide not to make a deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia and the [RAF] Airfield location in Fairfield, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime.”
Under a long-held agreement, the US would have to obtain permission from the UK before using the bases for military operations.
But the prime minister has reportedly expressed opposition to the plans, amid concerns that the strikes could amount to an illegal act under international law.
Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper reiterated the Government’s position in a meeting with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, insisting that Britain would favour a “diplomatic and economic” campaign of pressure on Iran.
The position has also been criticised by the Conservative Party, with defence spokesperson James Cartlidge warning that Iran’s nuclear programme “poses a grave threat to Britain and our allies”.
A UK Government spokesperson said: “As routine, we do not comment on operational measures.”
