Kushner meets with Netanyahu after rare Hamas talks over stalled Gaza plan
But many in Israel do not want to proceed with the Trump-backed plan.
Speaking on a podcast hosted by Rom Braslavski, who was one of the last living hostages released from captivity after the Hamas-led Oct. 7, 2023 attacks, Ben-Gvir condemned efforts to advance the ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas.
Instead, he called for more bloodshed in the Palestinian territory, which already faces near-daily Israeli strikes despite the truce.
More than 1,200 people have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire began, according to the health ministry in the enclave.
The Israeli military says it is targeting Hamas militants. At least four Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza in that same time, according to Reuters.
โItโs no secret that I disagreed with the prime minister,โ Ben-Gvir said. โI think we need to carry out targeted killings in Gaza โ take out 30 or 40 every night.โ
โNot just those who pose a threat to you at that particular moment,โ he continued. โThere are people there who are not human beings. They donโt deserve to live. Theyโre not even people. Iโm paying them a compliment by calling them people.โ
The comments reflected similar statements made by Israeli officials throughout the conflict in Gaza, some of which have been cited in a case before the United Nationsโ International Court of Justice accusing Israel of genocide in its military campaign. The U.S. and Israel have staunchly rejected the accusation.
Ben-Gvir also called for the mass emigration of Palestinians from the enclave, saying on the podcast that โI see all of Gaza as ours.โ
His comments come days after Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced that he had ordered the Israeli military to draw up plans to hand over security operations in the West Bank, including the policing of Israeli settlers, to the Israel Police, of which Ben-Gvir has parliamentary oversight.
Israeli settlers have been besieging homes in the Palestinian village of Qusra for more than a week, with the Israeli military failing to end the violent intimidation campaign.
The siege earned a rare rebuke from the U.S., with Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee branding the settlers โIsraeli terroristsโ and describing their โhorrific act of terrorโ as โdisgusting.โ
Settler attacks in the West Bank have been on the rise since the Oct. 7, 2023 attacks, in which some 1,200 people were killed and around 250 taken hostage.
Since then, more than 73,000 people, including thousands of children, have been killed in Gaza, according to the Palestinian health ministry in the enclave, with much of the territory destroyed.