Secret committee decides who pays Harry and Meghan’s ยฃ2m security | Politics | News
Harry and Meghan in Australia (Image: Getty)
Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood was not involved in any decision about whether to pay for Harry and Meghanโs security once they return to the UK, officials have insisted. Instead, the decision on whether taxpayers should foot the bill, which could reach an estimated ยฃ2.2 million, was made by a secretive committee.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the Duke and Duchess of Sussexโs planned return to Britain is a โprivate matterโ when asked by reporters whether the Government would pay for their security. And a Home Office spokesman said: โThe UK Governmentโs protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individualsโ security.โ
Last year, The Duke of Sussex lost a legal challenge over the levels of security he and his family are entitled to while in the UK. Decisions about security are made by a committee known as the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures, or RAVEC. However the Government has refused to reveal who exactly sits on this committee.
Prince Harry had been seeking to overturn a RAVEC decision that had downgraded his security after he stopped being a working royal.
He also wanted a court to rule that the Home Secretary should make the decision rather than RAVEC, but a High Court judge rejected his plea.
Answering a question in Parliament last year, Security Minister Dan Jarvis would only say RAVEC โincludes the Home Office, Cabinet Office, and Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.โ
Rather than revealing who attends, he said:
โThese departments are represented in the Committee by:
โA senior official in the Homeland Security Group who represents the Home Office.
โA senior official in the National Security Secretariat who represents the Cabinet Office.
โA senior official in the Protocol Directorate who represents the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. A senior official in the National Security Secretariat who represents the Cabinet Office.
โA senior official in the Protocol Directorate who represents the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.โ
It is known the committee was previously chaired by Sir Richard Mottram, a former senior civil servant who served as Permanent Secretary, Intelligence, Security and Resilience in the Cabinet Office, but his replacement has not been publicly named.
An investigation by website Forbes suggested in 2021 that the cost of Harry and Meghanโs security could be up to ยฃ2.2 million for round the clock protection.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to move back to Britain in a shock development more than six years after they relocated to the US.
The couple will return to the UK later this month โ making their home in a non-royal residence outside of London โ and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.
It is understood there will be no change to Harry and Meghanโs role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
The King, who is still living with cancer, was first made aware of the move on Sunday, only three days before it was made public, but is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family both in a private and personal capacity.
But their status will remain the same, with the couple not being offered a โhalf-in-half-outโ option when it comes to their roles.
The Sussexesโ decision raises the question of how the news will be met by the Prince and Princess of Wales.
William โ a future king โ is estranged from his brother after Harry levelled a barrage of accusations against the prince, Kate, the King and Queen Camilla in the years since the Megxit crisis of 2020.