Resident doctors in England have voted to continue industrial action for another six months, as part of their ongoing row over pay and jobs. Some 93% of medics voted in favour of continuing industrial action in a new British Medical Association ballot. The turnout was 53%.

Dr Jack Fletcher, chairman of the BMA’s resident doctors committee, said: ā€œNone of this needs to mean more strikes. ā€œIn recent weeks the Government has shown an improved approach in tone compared with the name-calling we saw late last year. A deal is there to be done: a new jobs package and an offer raising pay fairly over several years can be worked out through good will on both sides, in the interests of patients, staff and the whole NHS.ā€

It comes after the NHS in England last month announced that 94.7% of pre-planned care went ahead as planned during the last round of strikeĀ action from resident doctors in December.

The five-day walkout took place from December 17 amid warnings that the NHS was dealing with an early spike in flu cases and other winter viruses.

A Department for Health and Social Care spokesman said: ā€œOn top of a 28.9% pay rise over the last three years, this government is continuing to work with the BMA to address the issues resident doctorsĀ face in theirĀ careers,Ā includingĀ fast-trackingĀ legislationĀ toĀ prioritiseĀ homeĀ grownĀ medical graduatesĀ forĀ specialty training places.Ā 

ā€œTheĀ government hasĀ been in intensiveĀ andĀ constructiveĀ discussionsĀ with the BMA Resident Doctors Committee since theĀ start ofĀ theĀ newĀ yearĀ toĀ tryĀ and bringĀ an end toĀ theĀ damagingĀ cycle ofĀ strikesĀ and avoid furtherĀ unnecessaryĀ disruption for patients and NHS staff.

ā€œWe hope that these talksĀ resultĀ in an agreement thatĀ works forĀ everyone,Ā soĀ thatĀ there is notĀ anyĀ moreĀ strike actionĀ by resident doctorsĀ in 2026.ā€Ā 

Matthew Taylor, interim chief executive of the NHS Confederation and NHS Providers, said healthcare leaders will be “bitterly disappointed” by the decision to continue strikes.

He added: “NHS leaders will be bitterly disappointed that resident doctors have voted to continue with industrial action, especially given the huge impact that strikes have had on patients and the health service’s performance and finances. Further strikes will pile yet more unplanned costs on NHS organisations, forcing health leaders to make difficult choices over reducing staff and patient services to try to balance their books.

ā€œThe government and NHS are already working hard to improve the working lives of resident doctors, including introducing the Medical Training (Prioritisation) Bill. Health leaders would urge resident doctors to reflect on the impact of further industrial action on patients, the difficult financial backdrop we’re operating in, and the generous pay rise that has already been offered to them by the government before staging more walkouts.

ā€œWe cannot let these strikes roll through 2026, using up yet more scarce resources and impeding the progress the NHS needs to make in reducing waiting lists. Health leaders need to see the government and BMA resume talks – through mediation if needed – to find a long-term solution to this dispute.”

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.