Keir Starmer is fighting for survival after Angela Rayner and Peter Ma | Politics | News
Keir Starmer is fighting for survival after Peter Mandelsonās sacking plunged Labour into a full-blown meltdown. The Prime Minister was branded āweakā having dithered about getting rid of the disgraced peer over his close friendship with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
His dramatic departure as ambassador to the US throws the government deeper into crisis, just a week after Angela Raynerās humiliating resignation, with senior politicians suggesting Sir Keir could be āgone by Christmasā himself. The scandal is likely to overshadow President Donald Trumpās state visit to the UK next week, where he will meet King Charles, with critics accusing the Prime Minister of putting the monarch in a āterrible positionā.
The Prime Minister, who picked the Labour grandee to be the UKās representative in Washington, finally acted after another cache of messages emerged from the Labour peer to the notorious paedophile.
Details of the newly-uncovered emails had been sent to Lord Mandelson for comment on Monday – but Sir Keir continued to voice āfull confidenceā in him during Prime Ministerās Questions on Wednesday.
Sources insisted the messages had not even been available to the peer himself when he was appointed as Ambassador last year, as they were in an old account.
As a result they were not considered in vetting.
But Kemi Badenoch accused the Labour leader of putting āparty before countryā.
āPeter Mandelson is now gone, but Keir Starmer failed yet another key test of leadership,ā the Tory leader said.
āHe gave his full backing to a man unfit for office.ā
She added: āHe is a weak Prime Minister, who doesnāt have the courage to do the right thing at the right time.ā
Former Foreign Secretary James Cleverly said Sir Keirās future as Prime Minister is in serious doubt.
He said: āWhat a total fiasco, this is all Starmerās fault. I can see him being gone by Christmas.ā
It is the third time Lord Mandelson – known as the “Prince of Darkness” – has been booted from government having twice been forced to resign under Tony Blair.
And it comes just six days after Sir Keir was forced into a panicky reshuffle triggered by Ms Raynerās resignation over her tax affairs.
The party is facing a simmering civil war as the battle to replace her as deputy leader intensifies.
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage said: āThe sacking of Lord Mandelson had become inevitable.
āThe Prime Minister is becoming ever more distanced from his parliamentary party.ā
The double departures come after a calamitous 14-months in No 10 for Sir Keir which has seen his government lurch from crisis to crisis.
Freebie scandals, bumper tax raids, targeting pensioners and a string of ministers losing their jobs has seen Labour plummet in the polls behind Reform.
In the damning new emails, Lord Mandelson told his ābest palā Epstein to āfight for early releaseā shortly before he was sentenced to 18 months in prison.
And in 2008 he told the billionaire financier – found dead in his cell in 2019 awaiting trial for molesting hundreds of schoolgirls – that āI think the world of you and I feel hopeless and furious about what has happened.ā
The Prime Minister had defended Lord Mandelson until the emergence of the emails, insisting he had gone through a proper vetting process and had helped build a successful relationship with President Trumpās White House.
Lord Mandelsonās friendship with Epstein had been known about, but Bloomberg and The Sun published emails showing that the relationship continued after the crimes committed by the financier had emerged.
Foreign Office minister Stephen Doughty told MPs that information had not been known when Lord Mandelson was appointed.
He told MPs the emails showed āthe depth and extent of Lord Mandelsonās relationship with Jeffrey Epstein is materially different from that known at the time of his appointmentā.
He added: āIn particular, Lord Mandelsonās suggestion that Jeffrey Epsteinās first conviction was wrongful and should be challenged is new information.
āAnd in light of that, and mindful, as we all are, of the victims of Epsteinās appalling crimes, he has been withdrawn as ambassador with immediate effect.ā
The cache of emails obtained by Bloomberg showed that on the day before Epstein reported to jail in June 2008, Lord Mandelson told him āyour friends stay with you and love youā.
He said: āYou have to be incredibly resilient, fight for early release and be philosophical about it as much as you can.
āThe whole thing has been years of torture and now you have to show the world how big a person you are and how strong.ā
Lord Mandelson, who flew on Epstein’s private jet – dubbed the āLolita Expressā – and stayed at his Caribbean hideaway known as āorgy islandā has claimed Epstein had never offered āany introductions to women… perhaps because I am a gay manā.
The latest furore erupted on Monday when US lawmakers released a 238-page album compiled by Epstein’s socialite girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell for his 50th birthday in 2003.
In it was a fawning ten-page handwritten greeting from Lord Mandelson with holiday snaps from his 2002 trip to Epstein’s island.
One showed him wearing a white dressing gown chatting to Epstein.
No 10 said that Lord Mandelson’s friendship with Epstein was āa matter of public recordā before his appointment.
Lord Mandelsonās position had appeared increasingly precarious after the release of the emails drew public criticism from members of the Government and setting backbenchers.
Health Secretary Wes Streeting said he was ācompletely disgustedā by the messages while mutinous Labour MPs including Richard Burgon and Nadia Whittome had called on Sir Keir to sack Lord Mandelson, 71.
Backbencher Andy McDonald warned earlier that there is āwidespread revulsionā in the party.
Downing Street would not say whether Lord Mandelson had misled the vetting process for his appointment as US ambassador.
But the timing of his sacking causes a diplomatic headache ahead of President Trumpās state visit next week, with the US president facing questions over his own ties with Epstein.
Tory MP Neil O’Brien, said: āThere is huge turmoil ahead and I cannot believe that the Government put our monarch in this terrible position.ā
James Roscoe will be the interim ambassador to the US and has taken over with immediate effect.
He was made deputy head of mission at the British Embassy in Washington in July 2022 and before that was UK ambassador to the UN General Assembly from 2019.
Mr Roscoe also previously worked as the late Queen Elizabeth IIās communications director and as chief press officer at No 10 under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.